Monday, May 25, 2009

Old San Juan

Today we rode the ferry over to Old San Juan where the old military forts are. We went to Castillo San Cristóbal and Castillo San Felipe del Morro. They were so cool! I couldn't believe how big they were, they had boarding for the troops, a chapel, and 50 million little watch towers, battery stations, I guess everything you would expect in a fort. They had beautiful views, and it was just fun. Old San Juan is where all the cruise ships port, so there was a lot of great shopping and eating that we didn't have time for, so Alicia and I will head back a little later this week. Here are some fun shots from today's trip!
(Walking up the road to Castillo San Felipe del Morro. This was the largest fort and where Chistopher Columbus first set up shop.)(Sitting on one of the balconies of Castillo San Cristóbal. If you look, you can see one of the towers and part of Castillo San Felipe del Morro in the background.)
(We were on an upper tower looking down on one of the lowest look-outs at Castillo San Cristóbal. I really like this picture.)(This was in the dungeon in Castillo San Cristóbal. They had actually put glass casing up to protect it, it's hard to see, but it's a picture of a ship that one (or many) of the prisoners drew to pass the time. And it was seriously a dungeon, you had to walk down underground to get to it, no windows, no air, smelled like mildew, would have hated to be a prisoner there.)

3 comments:

Sycamore Girl said...

This is so cool! When you go back, you and Alicia should put on pirates costumes complete with an eye patch and "aarrrr" your way through each shop. Well, thats what I would do if I was there...

Sissy Jackson said...

I agree with Holly that its cool but IM jealous. Trying NOT to be but I am. Shop till you drop sister... I love to shop in port towns!

~*Summers Family Fun*~ said...

Cute Pictures!! I hope you have a blast! ~Travel Safely~ :)