Okay, so I'm probably way too young for a mid-life crisis, but I can't describe what's going on as anything else. So in my Young Womens calling, I think I do an okay job, but I am where I need to be and am I doing everything I can, probably not. So I was working on my Personal Progress, and for one of my ten hour projects, I auditioned for a musical. The second I walked out of my audition I wished that I could have had a second chance, because honestly, the singer I was in the audition was not the singer that I used to be. I was shy, I was quiet, it was weird. But then, when was the last time I needed to project and let myself known that I was a soloist and that I really could sing, probably high school. The longer the musical went, the more I realized that I've really just let my talents go. I don't sing like I used to, and I'm not really sure why, because it's something that really makes me happy. I also don't play the piano like I used to. I can still play and sightread fairly well, but I'm not what I was, and I'm certainly not improving. In fact, I don't think I'm at the piano for even an hour a week. So I've decided to start piano lessons, be accountable to someone to practice, and really kick up my skills a notch.
Along with that I'm also realizing that I'm just not a good friend. My very best friend in high school, we were inseparable, we talked about everything, we were there for each other through quite a bit of stuff, and the last time I spoke to her was months ago, and even then, we run out of things to say within 10 minutes. Then there's my very first true friend once I was married. It was one of those situations where Nick clicked with her husband just as well as I had clicked with her. It was pretty much guaranteed that if it was a weekend we were having dinner together at one of our houses. I learned some great lessons from this friendship, and I knew I had made a best friend. Yet, I can't tell you the last time I talked to her, e-mailed her, asked her how her day was, even let her know that I still care. So then I'm thinking, what about my friendships and relationships now, will I keep them, will I work on them, what? So I don't even know that this is a mid-life crisis, just a realization of myself and that I really do need to be better. So here's my resolve, I'm going to be a better friend, I'm going to let people know I care about them, I'm going to develop and use my talents more, and hopefully this will help me be a better friend, wife, and mother. So there's my mid-life crisis. Does anyone else have moments like this where they just realize quite a few things they're not happy with about themselves? I'm up for any tips.
On another note, Nick finished the semester yesterday, thank goodness, Lainee and I really missed him, he's just had so much homework and studying lately. So now he's looking for an internship for the summer. He's sent out countless resumes and had a few interviews, he has two more today. Please keep him in your prayers! So hopefully he'll find one and all goes well for the summer, then the fall semester, then I've got a college graduate! YAY! I'm so proud of him, he really works hard to be a really good student for me and Lainee, and I just love him!
We're Cookin'
2 months ago

5 comments:
WOAHHH girl! Becky you are so funny! I love that I can totally follow your train of thoughts and your mid life crisis/self life examination! hee hee
First of all I have to tell you that I think that you ARE doing an awesome job with what you are doing!! I really see it everyday and really do notice all the little things that you do for your calling and think that you are awesome. You have a pretty thankless job and I want to thank you for all that you do! You are really a great example to me!!--Even if you are so much younger! hee hee
Second you are one super super talented girl and ok maybe you aren't the in front soloist/pianoist that you once were but you have ALOT of other talents that you are working on that are way MORE important and more eternal anyway--I have to remind myself of that a lot cause being a mom and a wife sometimes causes you to sorta lose yourself sorta--does that make sense. Anyway koddos to you for sharpening up your talents and Becky you really are a wonderful awesome amazing friend!! I should know!! hee hee
Ahhh! Becky don't be to hard on yourself in self refection. I have the same problem with a few girls I used to be so close to before moving or {ward splits!} and there isn't a lot to be done about the past.
I guess you do exactly what you said you are going to do. Try a little harder to do a little better. I am impressed that you are going to start piano lessons!
You are so inspiring!
When was the last time I checked in on you to see how you are? So, yeah, I am a terrible friend too...it comes and goes in stages I think.
Keep your chin up! I love you!
Becky!
If you're referring to us, then I need I remind you that you send me a totally awesome birthday package and EVEN remembered all my favorite treats!
And Dude,
This is my theory:
True friends, BEST friends, are those that can go several months with only blog contact, and STILL, when they see each other again, pick up where they left off, like no time had passed at all. I've seen it so much with my parents, and have thought to myself, wow- I have some friends like that.
We're soo lucky to have you guys as friends! I'm sorry I never call, but I know you're there when I need you. I hope you know the same about me.
We love love love you guys! And can't wait til we buy our big lot in Kuna (yeah, we moved our dreams to the country) Idaho, and share a backyard.
(that is..if you guys are still cool with that.)
Becky I already think you have so many talents and so inspiring-I guess that's part of the benefit of only having 1 kid so far. Glad you set some great goals for yourself!!
i love you becky. i feel the exact same about friendships, and singing too actually. but mostly i get so wrapped into work, everything else dissapears. you have been an insperation to me! and i love you. keep your chin up
Post a Comment