Thursday, April 3, 2008

Spring Break '08

Sorry we've been lacking in the blog lately. We had an amazing spring break. It started with my brother getting married, that was fun, but not the best part. We planned a trip to New Orleans to see Dan and Katie, and we had an awesome time. Dan is stationed in Biloxi, Mississippi with the Air Force, and New Orleans is about an hour away. We were really greatful we got to go. The day we left, over 200 flights had been canceled. I'm just glad it didn't effect our airline. When we got to he airport Thursday morning, it was snowing and blowing like crazy. So much for spring. When we landed in New Orleans, it was a beautiful 80 degrees with a great breeze coming off the Mississippi. Lainee did really well on the plane, slept most of it, but when she was awake, she was pretty pleasant.

So we flew in and walked around the French Quarter first, just wanting to see the sights. Suddenly Nick got this yearning for gumbo. He just kept saying, we can't come to the south and not eat gumbo. Yuck! So we found this fun little joint in the middle of downtown, and Nick orders himself some gumbo. I just ordered some water. Then he looks at the menu and sees alligator. Gross! The waiter says it's really good, he'll bring him out a plate of half fried, half blackened. Nick loved it. After about 10 minutes of him and the waiter getting on my case about it, I tried it. The taste was okay, but the texture was something I never need to try again.


After our lovely meal, we jumped in the car for the drive to Biloxi. It was interesting driving over and still seeing the effects of Katrina. But for the most part the drive was really pretty, lots of green trees. Then Nick conveniently pointed out that every single bit of it was swamp. But we got to Biloxi and saw Dan and Katie and Vince. Vince is about 6 months older than Lainee, and she loved him. I've never seen her act the way that she did. She chased him around everywhere and was just laughing. I'm glad she had fun too.

So they took us to this local place called The Shed. The menus were on brown paper sacks, and you ordered from literally a shed, and then you picked a picnic table. They had a bonfire and a live band outside. It was really a fun environment. and the food was some of the best barbecue, and I don't even like barbecue. It was one of those places where there isn't a square inch of wood that doesn't have writing on it. Nick decided to leave our names behind, so that was fun. We also found a table that had Boise State written on it.

The next morning we hit the waffle house. That was a great breakfast, and they even gave Lainee a hat!

So after breakfast, the boys took the kids to play, and me and Katie went to the spa. They were offering some sort of deal, and I got a facial and a massage for $12. It was great, but if any of you know me, I can't say no. So somehow, I also signed on for a mystic tan (which I hate), I told the guy I didn't like them, he just told me that I would, so of course, sign me up ($10) Then after Katie was getting her facial and I was alone and vulnerable, he suckered me into some products for an additional $42. So as we're walking out I'm realizing how much money I spent when I was going to spen $12. If only I could say no. Maybe some day I'll learn.

That afternoon we went to the beach. It was really pretty. We didn't go in, because the gulf just didn't seem like the best swimming water. But we had fun just talking and playing in the sand until it just got too windy and started to rain.


So that was pretty much our trip. We hope all of you had as great of a spring break as we did!

3 comments:

Skyler said...

Look at that tan! And the cutoff shirt? WOW. Tiny, you've outdone yourself -- you just might be the new president of the WT club. Love it. I'm working hard to get back my title.

Alicia said...

Sounds like a great trip & great pics! Thanks for sharing!

Chris said...

Love the alligator face Becky!
Glad you guys had such a great time in the South!